Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Dogwoods

Each dogwood in our back yard was planted for a departed loved one. This tree was planted
27 years ago in the memory of our son Adam Grant Rex who was born and died on April 17,1984. That poor tree was planted three times before I was satisfied with it's location. At first it was painful to look at but over the years it has brought great beauty into my life.
The deep pink color is incredible and usually is in bloom just in time for Mother's Day!
The next tree was planted in memory of my Mother, Mildred Rose Garabrant Gordon who passed away unexpectedly in February of 1997 at the age of 75. This dogwood was purchased as one of three pink dogwoods - one for my father, one for my sister and one for me. All three little trees hung in there and bloom every spring.
This is a more pastel pink than Adam's tree and has taken a long time to establish itself, but this year the blooms are quite pretty.
I have been feeling nostalgic lately and with the threat of severe weather this morning, I ran out to take pictures of the blooms on both trees before they got blown off. I am happy to report that the severe weather was to the north of us and my beautiful dogwoods are fine.

1 comment:

  1. Great minds work together!! I had the same thought about my beautiful pink dogwood tree, planted right after my father died. It was only 5' tall, purchased at Frank's (202?) before it left. Anyway, this year it is spectacular and I ran out to take photos too when I heard about the horrible weather coming.

    ReplyDelete