Monday, December 19, 2011

Ninety

Ninety Today! My mother would have been 90 today! I wish that she could be here. There are still so many things I would have liked to know, so many questions to ask her. I regret that she never got to meet her Great-Grandchildren. She would have loved them. They would have exhausted her but she would have loved them in little doses.
What would Mom have been like today? What challenges would she have had? What Joys?
My mom was the gatherer of family. She upheld the family traditions with super glue. When she passed away in 1996 at the age of 75, we lost some momentum, but then for the most part have done remarkably well in holding the traditions together. That probably is due to Richard Wheeler Gordon who has held us together with scotch tape (still glue but with some flexibility) and love. He will turn 90 in March 2012.
It is funny, the times that I remember Mom. It could be a certain smell, a favorite recipe, a song, a life changing event that brings back her memory. I know now why she had "I Tried" put on her gravestone.
It is the best that anyone can expect from someone else, that they tried, tried their very best!

No comments:

Post a Comment