Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11-11

The ten year anniversary of 9-11!
Each year I go to bed saying to myself that I will not spend September 11th in front of the tv.
I wake up on September 11th and I am compelled to turn on the television. It is sobering in it's sadness and it's enormity. I saw it from Washington Rock, I knew two people who did not return, I was a young mother of three children. I was profoundly affected, and find that I still am 10 years later.
I took pictures of the television screen this year (digital photography makes it easy). I am sharing a few of those pictures.
Tom and I would pick up our girls from Girl Scouts at Hazelwood school. Tom also did a presentation on gun  safety at the Bound Brook Presbyterian Preschool where I was the Director/Teacher.
Barbara Gorman, reading names at Ground Zero on the 10th anniversary of 9-11. She remembered Tom and mentioned her children and that they would soon be grandparents.
Doug worked with Ex Santillan at Asland Chemical in Kearny. Maria called her father at Ashland to tell him that a plane had hit her tower. He never heard from her again.
Victor Santillan on the right, reads victims names and then speaks of his lost sister, Maria, and the impact her death had on their family.
It is with a prayer and a promise that I go to bed tonight. I pray for peace and I promise not to take life for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment