Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ring-Around-The-Sun........






The pictures above were taken through the Somerset Medical Center Parking Deck windows today around 2pm in the afternoon. I was driving there when I saw people outside their buildings, with their hands over their eyes, looking up at the sky. I was driving and wondering what they were looking at. Then on the radio, 101.5, I heard that there was a spectacular ring around the sun.
 
The photo below, was posted on facebook. The person had a much better camera than I. The picture shows the ring of ice crystals refracting the rays of the sun and forming a circular rainbow. The size and intensity were impressive.
 
Photo: Check out the rainbow around the sun today at Waters Edge!

A nimbus or icebow is an optical phenomenon produced by ice crystals creating colored or white arcs and spots in the sky. Many are formed near the sun or moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment