Monday, January 14, 2013

Stay Calm and Radiate!

Today is day 4 of radiation. Only 28 more days to go. Last week, starting was more emotional than I thought it would be, just talking to me made me tear up and I was in an I don't care funk. (On a positive note, I did start weight watcher's and lost 2.8 pounds my first week)
I am starting this week resigned to my fate. Angela says that I just haven't wrapped my head around the idea that the Doctor cut out the cancer, I am cancer free, and the radiation is preventative! Remember, those of you who have given birth, when you didn't care who looked? Well, it is getting to be that way with my breasts! Drop the sheet, sure!
Doug has been very supportive and has been driving me to my appointments. I have not had any adverse reaction to the radiation yet. Apparently you don't typically get any reaction before 14 treatments!
This radiation does not affect my interaction with people. I will still be able to hold Emilie's new baby and I can still hug and kiss my other grandchildren.
Today we leave the house at 11:30 for my 12:30 appointment in New Brunswick. When we get there we valet park and go down to G2 in the basement, where radiation is located. I go to the desk, state my name, they find and give me my medical band (which I turn in after every treatment) and then I wait for my turn. When my name is called I go through locked doors and change from the waist up, lock my clothes in a locker and proceed to the next waiting area. My turn begins with me entering a room with a thick steel door. I sit on a table that has my body form on it and take off the sheet. Two  techs then line me up with the machine. I usually line up nicely, so they say!
Zap for 10 minutes and then I repeat everything backwards and go home. Only 2 1/2 hours out of each day. A small price to go on living!

No comments:

Post a Comment