Today, I stood outside my house in central New Jersey for at least 30 minutes. I had my camera and my telephoto lens and my house phone. I kept a careful watch for airplanes in all directions. I strained my ears for the sounds of motors. I paced up and down my driveway looking in all directions. I saw two planes and a beautiful cloud. The Garys came home and asked if had gotten a shot of it. I had to say no. It was cold out there, I knew that just when I went inside it would come. But it didn't. I went in and took screen shots from the tv. It was the best I could do.
The Space Shuttle Prototype - Enteprise was being flown into New York City to become part of the Intrepid Museum. The Enterprise never actually made it into space, the Challenger was made instead.
I was watching the tv with Doug and talking to Emilie on the phone. I mentioned that Leonard Nimoy was being interviewed. Emilie said "Who?" I said, "Dr. Spock, from the tv show Star Trek!" She had no idea. The Enterprise was the space ship's name on Star Trek!
Emilie was in Afternoon Kindergarten,January 28,1986, 11:38 EST, eating lunch with Doug watching tv when the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up, killing all seven crew members aboard.
Christa McAuliffe was a civilian school teacher who was one of the casualties.
Our Space Shuttle program was ended on August 31, 2011.
Geek alert - actually Leonard Nimoy played Mr. Spock. Dr. Spock is the famous pediatrician. :)
ReplyDelete