On September 11, 2012 , I went for my overdue yearly exams, and had both my gyno and mamo checked. At my mamo, the technician was diligent and redid my left breast for a second time. A week later I received a letter asking me to return for another examination. Today was the day! I cannot explain the contortions that they went through to thoroughly examine my left breast. I waited for 10 minutes while the radiologist read the films and then I was escorted into this little room with a lamp and two chairs. The radiologist got right to the point and said that I had a suspicious calcification at the top of my left breast, just under my armpit. It appeared to be 2 centimeters big and they recommended that I have a needle biopsy to rule out cancer. She was pretty damn serious and then told me to get dressed and wait for them to put all of my records together to take with me.(Never good when you leave a radiologists office with a three pound, brown envelope)
I made it out to the parking lot where my eyes started leaking. There was no hysterical crying, just a profound and utter sadness. Logically, I should be glad that they spotted the abnormality. Isn't that why I had the mammography in the first place?It was again an astoundingly beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, can bad things really happen on a day like this?
I drove directly to my family doctor, right before they closed for lunch. I requested an appointment for later in the day to discuss my test results. Doctor Goldman saw me then and there! A real jewel!
She wrote me out a prescription for the biopsy and tried to reassure me. Her kindness was overwhelming!
I drove home and as I was walking in, Emilie called to see how I had made out. Could not tell her without my eyes leaking! Then called Caroline,(wise beyond her years) my loving daughter, (my substitute mother), at work, (who apparently I almost made cry at her desk) and she in turn called her brother Tim and called Emilie and told her to pick me up and take me to lunch and keep me occupied. Spoke to my Angel, I mean my friend Angela who has volunteered to pick out my new breasts for me if need be (trust me, she can always get me to laugh, and she has very good taste!)
Emilie then picked me up, we ran a few of her errands, then went to lunch at Joe's Meat Market in South Bound Brook. Walked to Samantha's school, picked her and Madison and a little boy from her class up and then spent the next hour with them on their school playground.
I must say that all of the nurses and Doctors that I talked to were very kind and efficient! They returned phone calls in a timely manner and I was able to get an appointment for Thursday, October 4th at 11am with Dr.Kolli at the Robert Wood Johnson Cancer Institute.
In 2000, I went through this proceedure for a calcification in the center area of my left breast. I saw a surgeon, Dr. Kearny from the same group. (I would have had to wait until October 18 if I had wanted to see him). At that time, no biopsy or surgery was needed.
If there is cancer there, I am glad we have found it and I will do what I have to to get rid of it!
I have children and grandchildren and a husband to live for! Although Daddy and I are not biologically related, I would like to live until 90 also!
Love you! <3
ReplyDeleteJust keep swimming...Just keep swimming (Sorry)
ReplyDeleteLove you too!