Called Pop around 10:30am to wish him a happy 90th Birthday. He said thanks but sounded a little funny. I asked him if he had had a rough night. He hesitated and then said "I wasn't going to tell you this but I fell Saturday night and I think I might have broken a rib!" I asked him if he was going to the Doctor. He said no. I said to him that I could get Emilie to take care of Kamryn and Kellen for me and I would come and take him to the Doctors. He said NO! What Part of NO don't you understand? He was screaming! He was Yelling! I haven't heard that kind of uncontrolled yelling from him in years. He said something to me (can't remember exact words) but it caused me to retaliate with "If you do that then I will call the ambulance to come and get you." We had to end the conversation, before we said more things we would regret.
I hung up and was shaking, sure that Pop was in so much pain that he couldn't think straight. I called Chris (my sister) and told her that Pop had fallen and that he was screaming. She was in the middle of getting her hair highlighted (we laughed together at the timing), she needed at least an hour before she could meet me at Pop's house. I paced for that hour! I am not good at waiting. Meanwhile Chris had called her husband Charlie at work. He said that we could not legally insist that Dad go to the hospital.
(his sound mind and all). Caroline has tried to call him and has left a message for him to call her back, since he did not answer her call. I now have him laying in a pool of blood, unconscious on the kitchen floor (in my imagination).
I arrive at Pop's house first. He is in the kitchen, sitting in his wheelchair, at the kitchen table. I have made him mad that I have come to check on him. I tell him that Chris is coming and should be here in minutes. He tells me that he is not going to the hospital because on Thursday, Sears is going to deliver his new washer and dryer! OMG! REALLY? He is still really yelling....but not as bad as before. He tells me He is going to do what he wants to do! He is in control and will decide when he needs to go to the doctor or the hospital.
Chris arrives. Pop is still aggitated. I have tears dripping out. Chris is calm and tries to reason with Pop. Pop yells at me, says this is my fault, I overreacted! To which I replied.....you are not going to blame this on me! I am getting mad, and when I get that mad I cry!( Do you think that I had nothing better to do with my day than to run out here to see if you were okay?)
Pop then tells us that he is driving himself to New Brunswick to his Cancer Doctor appointment. We ask if we can drive him. "NO, NO, NO! I AM GOING BY MYSELF. to which Chris replied, "Then I will just happen to follow you to the hospital to see my clients. (Chris sells imprinted items to the hospital). Pop was not happy. We were not happy. We gave up. Fine! Do it!
He actually leaves us in his house to lock up and he left for the Dr. I asked Chris if she had had lunch, so we went to the diner. We ate and spent two hours calming down and trying to figure out what the hell had just happened.
Happy 90th Birthday Dad!
"But people have a right to fall" So annoyed by this comment I heard today, and so fitting for your stress. Long story ask me to explain when I see you. Ugh people just piss me the eff off!!!
ReplyDelete